Day 62

I went to see Elsbeth today at the hospital but she had gone home already, so I bought a bunch of flowers for the first time in 20 years and visited her at her flat. It was immensely embarrassing walking around with flowers. I don't understand why that should be. Firstly what do I care what complete strangers think? Secondly what's wrong with men and flowers? I obviously have some work to do with my therapist.

Rev Dave was just leaving Elsbeth's place as I arrived. She was seated in her favourite chair, huddling a cup of tea and surrounded by flowers and cards. She smiled at me when I walked in. If only I could describe that smile and the effect it had on this broken old soul. In that smile were contained the glow of a thousand radiant suns, the warmth of a late spring breeze, fragrant with life and peace. I know, perhaps a bit excessive but you get the idea.

I washed up a few things and was about to go when she gave me a thank you card. I said it was unnecessary but she insisted. Here are the words:


Dear Aaron,

Thank you for your dear friendship. It means the world to me.

The LORD bless you
and keep you;
the LORD make his face shine upon you
and be gracious to you;
the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace.

With all my love,
Elsbeth


And when I thought the day couldn't get any better, Harry was waiting outside my door when I got home.