Epilogue 45

Jo watched her sister as she played listlessly with her food.

“What’s up, Lies?”

Liesel looked up, her eyes wet with held back tears.

“I’m so worried about Anne, Jojo. She has become so strange.”

“Strange?” replied Jojo. “In what way?”

“She spends so much time on her own, and seems to prefer it that way. It used be impossible to shut her up but now she hardly talks to me anymore. She just talks to her imaginary friend.”

Jojo smiled. “That reminds me of someone.”

Liesel shook her head. “There is something else. Like a presence.”

“A presence?”

“Yes,” Liesel continued. “It feels like someone is there with her.”

Jojo frowned. “I don’t follow.”

Liesel sighed. “I’m sure I’m going crazy, but I think its Dad”

Jojo looked at her seriously. “You know Lies, I didn’t tell you this before, but I get that sense whenever I go to Elsbeth’s grave. Like he’s there watching me. It’s very creepy.”

Liesel stared wide-eyed at her sister. “I thought I saw him the other night in our room. Harry woke me up with an almighty racket, and then I thought I saw him.”

“What did he look like?”

“It looked like him before he died, but I sensed him more than saw him. But there was something else that really frightened me.”

“What?” Jo asked.

“It’s hard to describe, but it felt dark and terrible.”