Epilogue 3

There are others here, but I've yet to meet somebody. There it is again, wrong word. How strange what assumptions language makes. I still think in English but am curiously encumbered by what are now inappropriate metaphors.

I don't know what form interaction would take in this world, whether communication is possible at all. There is no sound, an even the images are not that. I sense yet have no senses.

"Hello."

A voice in my head ... er mind, turning my attention. It's a woman, a young woman it would seem, though I'm not sure how I know.

"You're new here, aren't you?"

I want to nod, to speak, but can't.

"That's OK," she said, somehow smiling. "Just think it."

"Hello," I said in my mind.

She smiled.

"How come I can see you without my body?" I asked.

She shrugged, "I don't know. Is it important?"

I wasn't sure how to answer. Aaron down there would have insisted that it was, but now rational materialism, apart from being irrelevant, was also incorrect.

She laughed and I felt it like frizzy bubbles in my mind, the tinkling of silver bells in a spring breeze.

"I love your laugh," I said.

She bowed coyly, completely unperturbed by my unexpected directness, unlike me. I stood stunned at what I'd just said.

"Come," she giggled. "Let me show you around."

She held out her hand and somehow I took it.