Day 26

I decided today to face up to what I have obviously been avoiding that last few days: a walk to the park, and Elsbeth.

So I did, and she was there, just about to leave. Perhaps my face betrayed my feelings and perhaps she took pity on me, but anyhow she asked me if I liked walking and wanted to stroll along the canal with her.

This has easily been one of my most pleasant days in recent times. The sun shone wanly, full of hope, through cold clouds, and there was little or no wind, so we walked and talked together for miles like old friends.

I discovered that she is a widow of some 10 years, has one son slightly older than my children (but then I did start late), lives up the road, loves reading, helps out at the local charity shop, is an excellent, kind listener, and believe it or not is a devout Christian. What is it with my choices?? I can see Joe laughing wherever he is.

I think Elsbeth and I will get along just fine. We're meeting again tomorrow for another walk.

Harry has just made a guest appearance but is not interested in eating it seems.

Actually, neither am I, silly old lovestruck fool that I am.