Day 22

Sunday. I was woken up by church bells this morning. Bloody nuisance they are. Don't they know nobody's coming?

Joe once dragged me along to his church. I think it was a Baptist place. Ugly as sin the building was. I'll say one thing about the Church of England - they know how to build beautiful churches. The church service was a dismal affair. An old woman on a piano leading baleful tunes, a long-winded preacher going on about irrelevant things that may have happened centuries ago. The people were very nice though. Made me feel right at home. The coffee tasted like drain water but nobody seemed to mind. I wonder why they bother? Religion is dead. Antiquated beliefs from a more superstitious ignorant time.

I took a walk along the canal, and saw that she was sitting in the park, reading. I decided to act my age so went in and sat in my usual place. Our eyes met and we smiled at each other. I felt like a flustered youngster finding first love but managed to talk about the nice weather we were having. I watched her as she spoke: gentle movements, bright eyes, shy smile. I'm not a great talker, but it was easy talking to her. We talked about everything: books, people, our lives. I discovered her name is Elsbeth. Elsbeth, that has a lovely mystical ring to it.

I don't know about love at first sight, but she is a fine woman and I hope to see her again soon.

Harry liked his new food and I suppose dreams of great chases as he warms my feet.

Another good day.