Prelude 35

“Dad?”

“Yes, Jojo?”

“Did you want a boy?”

“I'm happy with my two girls, you know that.”

“I know, but would you have liked a boy?”

“I suppose in some ways it would have been fun, but in other ways I would have missed out.”

“Like how?”

“A boy would have never painted my nails green.”

“Oh Dad!”

“Jojo, seriously, I tell you this all the time. You and Liesel mean the world to me and I don't wish for anything else.”

“I think I might be half boy.”

“Do you?”

“Yeah, I hate dolls for instance.”

“Lots of girls hate dolls.”

“And I like to climb trees.”

“So you're part monkey?”

“Dad!”

"Hoo-hoo-hoo!"

"Dad?"

"Yes, Jojo?"

"Why do you and Mummy fight so much?"

"I don't know Jojo. I know its horrible and we try hard not to, but sometimes its better to argue than to be quiet."

"I don't like it when you argue."

"I know, my love. I'm really sorry."